Long-Term Care Resources

What is Medicaid?

Medicaid is a governmental program that provides financial and medical assistance for individuals who have limited assets. Funding is both federal and state but primarily through Title XIX of the Social Security Act. Medicaid assistance is available for those over 65 years of age, under 65 years of age declared disabled by Social Security, and for the blind. Medicaid in Oregon is administered by the State Adult and Family Services Division and the State Senior and People with Disability Services Division through the local offices in each county. In Multnomah County, Aging and Disability Services Division administers the Medicaid Program.

Eligibility Requirements

  • US Citizen or lawfully admitted alien
  • Resident of Oregon with intent to remain
  • Income below $1809 per month.
  • Fixed or liquid assets of up to $2000
  • Life insurance with a face value of up to $1500 or other provision for burial up to $1500, not including burial merchandise.
  • Must not have sold, traded, or given away any real or personal property for less than fair market value within the last 2.5 years prior to application

Covered Services

  • Physicians
  • Hospitals (limited number of days per fiscal year)
  • Prescription Drugs
  • Emergency Dental Care (very limited)
  • Oxygen
  • Medical Transportation
  • Nursing Home Care
  • Physical, Speech & Occupational Therapy

Who can I contact for more information?

Further information may be obtained by contacting the Multnomah County Senior and Disabled Help Line at (503) 988-3646 or visiting their website. More resources are listed here.

Will Medicaid cover all of these services?

Medicaid pays for only those items or services which are medically necessary and prescribed by a physician. Some services require prior authorization. Reference the list above for some of the services that are covered by Medicaid.

What is available for the spouse of an individual on Medicaid?

For the spouse remaining in the community, a portion of the institutionalized spouse’s monthly income can be diverted to the community spouse. The state calculates a figure as to how much of the institutionalized person’s income can go to their spouse for living expenses. The state also figures how much of the institutionalized person’s income must go to pay for their care.

If you have questions or need additional information, contact us at 503.761.6621